just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why I decided to do a Food Blog...

I am having the best time writing this blog, I mean its about food..Something I have had a love affair with for years. But what a lot of people don't know is that most all of my food is purchased with a food stamp allotment that I receive. I work full time and  as a single Mom, I am what my government classifies as poverty level. My hours have been cut a little at work and its been even tighter for us lately, but that is all temporary and I know things will get better. For goodness sakes we have been homeless before, so we appreciate what we have right now. I have even gone to a food bank this year, something many people have had to do for the first time in their lives. I was hoping to get a garden in but it has not happened yet no extra funds, but did you know that food plants and food seeds are food stamp eligible? Learn more about the food stamp program at this link http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/ and what you can purchase at this link  http://www.gettingfoodstamps.org/whatfood.htm

 Being on food stamps should not be something you have to be ashamed of or stigmatize you. If you need to feed your family then you do what you need to do. What I wish more food stamp recipients would do is stop buying processed foods and really learn how to cook healthy, inexpensive, meals made of fresh ingredients. Obesity is on the rise and kids today are more sedentary than in years past. I hope to add a feature that shows you just how much I spent on my meal per person and also add the nutrition value of the meals I prepare... mind you I love food its not all gonna be salad...but there are ways to cut the fat and carbs and sugar in comfort foods too. Also I love to make a variety of foods and will be adventurous, sushi or shawarma, or tandoori chicken some recipes I cannot wait to make for you! So stay tuned and enjoy and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment