just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Chile Rellenos, Moms Recipe

I have never met a gringo that does not like Mexican food and I say that with love... Of all of the recipes that I have ever made, my Moms Chile Relleno pronounced roll your rrrr (rey-yay-no) recipe has by far been the one Mexican recipe I have prepared the most for my Caucasian friends, and they have loved them. I remember these were often prepared during the Lenten season and  they were only prepared a handful of times in a year. I know why. They are time consuming, but if you break it down into steps you can do them pretty quickly. If you prepare the fresh chili's and char or roast them ahead of time, clean and stuff them half the work is done. I recommend Pasilla, Anaheim are slender and less forgiving when filling also they tend to be hotter to me. We always ate Anaheim, when I got older someone introduced me to Pasilla and I have been making them that way ever since. They are also larger and are usually a generous serving.

Relleno's are prepared in a variety of ways, some with meat, we always had ours made with Monterrey Jack cheese. My mom never served hers with a sauce until I figured out a recipe for one that mirrored "The Mexican Kitchen" sauce that they served on theirs, a favorite hometown restaurant that is long gone and sorely missed by many! Its a simple sauce made with salsa and broth and thickened with cornstarch. It is equally good on Huevos Rancheros. You can thank my daughter Kassi for this post because she is the one who asked me to make them today! Hope you enjoy these recipes!


Ingredients

Relleno's
6 pasilla peppers
1/2 lb jack cheese cut into 1/4in thick sticks
1&1/2 cup flour
4-6 eggs seperated
1tsp salt
oil for frying


Salsa Sauce
1cup jar salsa
or
1 small tomato diced
1 jalapeno seeded and deveined and diced
1/3 cup sliced onion
3tbsp easy blender salsa
&
1&1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
1/2 c.  cold water with 2tbsp cornstarch mixed in


*Just a note this should serve six idividuals when served with beans and rice, if not 3 ravenous individuals! I give you fair warning!



You first need to prepare your chilis by charring and roasting them, I do mine on a stove top in a cast iron pan or comal.




The next video will show you how to stuff and prepare the egg batter and fry the rellenos.
I say cheddar cheese note that I am using only Monterrey Jack cheese! Also included are my kid friendly chililess  "relleno" cheese sticks.



Finally the sauce which is optional but I love it! Plus you can use it on Huevos Rancheros!
*note that I revised the amount of cornstarch to 2 tbsp this amount yields a saucier sauce....



No comments:

Post a Comment