just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Enchiladas and SCREAMIN Enchilada Casserole

An enchilada is a tortilla that is filled with any number of fillings, shredded beef, chicken, ground beef, etc. My Mothers specialty was black olive and red onions with sharp cheddar cheese. No meat. These were often made on special days like Christmas, Thanksgiving and during the lenten season. I started making them with ground beef one year and my Grandpa Gonzales who was a usual grouch about everything really liked them. So I still make them that way now I use turkey and ground beef mixed together. Here are my version of my Mothers enchiladas.


Ingredients
1&1/4 pound of ground beef
1&1/4 pound of ground turkey
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
1 c. chopped onions
1 can of  whole black olives/ slice them yourself
1 whole potatoe diced finely (optional)
1/2 bell pepper diced finely (optional)
36 corn tortillas
oil for frying (canola)
20 oz of grated sharp cheddar cheese
Recipe of Grandma Ruby's Mole About 5cups

Chop your onion, bell pepper, and potato

Brown and drain your turkey and hamburger
I rinse the meat as well under hot water

Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

Cook down potatoes, pepper and onions till soft


Chop the olives and add to the meat filling
add about 1 cup of the mole sauce to the meat mixture

Heat oil in a pan and let tortilla just soften turn and do both
sides
Drain on paper towels
Get your cheese, tortillas that have cooled, mole sauce that is cooled and pie plate, meat filling, cheese and pan that has been sprayed with pam or wiped with canola oil
assemble your enchiladas.
Watch as I roll mine

 

Ok this video is of enchilada casserole, and I thought about editing it but then as I was watching it I realized this is me, this is who I am... with my dog walking around as I cook and my kids in the background being well, kids. I yell when my kids are rude or  piss me off...for goodness sakes its not like I am gonna be on the Food Network with this video so be warned this is footage of a real mom cooking a real meal! Hence the name for the casserole. Hope you get a laugh!





No comments:

Post a Comment