just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Grandma Rubys Homemade Red "Mole" Sauce

There is nothing fancy about this mole... (pronounced mo-lay) sorry I have to download a language setting for my computer to type Spanish words properly. It is a simple Americanized version of a red chili sauce, I don't know if my Grandmother Maria Avalos taught my mom to make it this way, but this is how she taught me, the only thing that is different is the addition of cooking oil, my Mother used to only use flour and chili powder, sometimes leaving her with lumps and having to start all over. Luckily as I got older I learned that what my Mother was making was similar to a roux, often used in creole cooking. So I experimented and we both were never so happy to learn who Chef Prudhome was...PBS cooking shows!
Ingredients

3/4 c. flour
1/4c. 1tbspchili powder
2tsp salt
1tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 cup oil
5-6 cups of water/or chicken stock


mix all dry ingredients



whisk them together



heat oil in a 3 qt pot


Now you can watch the video to learn how to make it...hope you like it!



You will notice that I have two separate measurements of liquid, one to create the mole and the other to thin the cooked mole out I use approximately 5 cups of water total...using all chicken broth will result in a richer deeper taste, especially good to use when making the "chicken mole" recipe.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, just made it and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive been looking for this recipe! My mom made it this way!! So good. So simple. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete