just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

MY Southern Smothered Porkchops and Mashed Potatoes

Today I was craving comfort food (which I do a lot) but in particular I wanted smothered pork chops, I think my loves, Auntie Bonita first introduced me to these. God rest her soul...that's when I learned what Southern soul food was, I love greens too. His family showed me how to cook those also, I think Auntie Pink, either way I love this stuff. So tonight I made some smothered chops and mashed potatoes no greens though, next time. I worked late and I technically would consider this a Sunday dinner meal, but in actuality it took me 15 mins of prep time and 30 minutes to cook. So be adventurous make em on a weeknight!

                  
Ingredients

My Smothered Pork chops
9 thin sliced pork chops center cut
1 cup sliced onion white or yellow
1&1/2 cups of flour
1tsp paprika
1 &1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1tsp garlic powder
oil (canola) for browning
2tsp butter/or margarine
2&1/3 cups of water


Mashed Potatoes
3 russet potatoes cut into cubes
3 white potatoes cut into cubes
3 large cloves of garlic peeled
1tsp salt plus salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup of Philadelphia cooking creme plain
2tbsp butter/ or margarine

I did not even use the milk after all!


Once potatoes were in the pot I started my chops.


Peel and rinse potatoes, add to 3 qt pot add cold water, add in garlic cloves and 1 tsp salt and boil over med heat till cooked through... I left some skin on just to give it that home cooked appeal. Once potatoes have cooked and been drained do not remove garlic, add 1/3 c of Philadelphia cooking creme, and 2tsp of butter or margarine, mash, and add salt and pepper to taste.



Meanwhile rinse chops in cold water do not shake off excess dip immediately into flour mixture. Dredge chops in flour that has been mixed with paprika, salt, garlic powder, and pepper.







Reserve 1/2 cup of the flour for smothering onions when I add onions right before the addition of the flour I add 1 tsp of butter or margarine just  to introduce some fat for the flour  to create the gravy! I brown the chops about 6 minutes each batch (I did 3) because they are thin, you may need to alter that cooking time if you are cooking thicker chops. Cooking time after being added to gravy is about  14 minutes. So a total of 20 minutes to cook these chops.
Watch as I cook this meal. Watching a video is always easier than looking at photos.
I had to video myself so sorry for the shakiness....but you will get the idea and you will love this recipe....by the way when I am making the gravy I say its ok if its thick I meant to say thin after adding 2 cups of water...Hope you try it!







1 comment:

  1. Had to stop watchin video, my phone screen had too much saliva on it. Did not want to ruin my phone, looks HECKA bomb though. Gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete