just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Sunday, July 10, 2011

I Like it Spicy and Sweet....Making Homemade Barbecue Sauce

Barbecue sauce is soo easy to make! I made mine one day after realizing I did not have any in my pantry. I just experimented with ketchup and brown sugar. Today I do not use ketchup but tomato sauce instead, it tends to not have that ketchuppy (is that a word?) taste. I make a couple of different versions one with honey one without. This is the non honey version.
Its the end the month for us and we were low on meat choices, either fish or porksteak. I took out the pork steak. Pork steak is an inexpensive and versatile cut of pork. I use it to make chile verde or chile con carne, but I just felt like grilling it. I served this with some white rice and a cold spicy blackbean and corn  salad .

Ingredients

My Spicy and Sweet Barbecue Sauce

1c. of tomato sauce
1/2 c. of brown sugar
1tbsp molasses
1tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp apple cider vinegar
1tbsp vietnamese garlic chili paste
1tbsp of  liquid hickory smoke
1tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cumin powder
mix everything in a saucepan and let simmer for about 30 minutes till it thickens



Spicy Blackbean and Corn Salad

1 can of black beans rinsed
1 can of corn rinsed
2 serrano chilis deveined and seeded
1/3 cup of diced red onion
1/2 avacado diced
1 green tomato sliced thick and grilled for 1 min on each side diced
juice of 1 lime
Mix everything together and let chill this is even better the longer it chills.. great the next day!



Video Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment