just a little preface...
This blog consist of meals that are practically all purchased with the help of my footstamp budget, I work full time, but as a single mom with two children at home I am classified as "poverty level". I thank God everyday that my children get good homecooked meals, because there are so many kids in the USA that go hungry every day. I just wanted to add this so if you think you cannot purchase good food and create good meals on a tight budget I hope my blog makes you think of food in a different way. noturtypicalgma




the only thing i ask in sharing these recipes with you, is that you must really love the person you serve them to....cooking is how i show my love to the special people in my life.....

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Thanksgiving.....or the day most first time cooks go BONKERS!

To be honest with you I had a little anxiety about cooking my first turkey way back years ago. After watching the Martha Stewart show and pouring over recipes I just created what still remains my Thanksgiving meal. Some things have changed a little bit like the greenbean casserole which is now fresh green beans, and the yams which are not covered in marshmallows but a more grown up brown sugar honey and pecan although Kassi does want the marshmallows version.
I am doing these recipes early so I can share them with you. These posts are geared to first timers who have never cooked a turkey. Let your anxiety and fears go. Trust in your oven and the fact that cooking a turkey is like roasting a big chicken. Your first Thanksgiving is no time to fuss with some gourmet recipe where anything like brining and marinating, injecting and using a weird stuffing is the highlight of the recipe.
This is a simple no nonsense oh so good recipe! So this is for you my daughter Destinee hope that you like it and your Thanksgiving Dinner is a success.

Thanksgiving Menu
Sage Roasted Turkey
Sausage and Black Olive Stuffing
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Whipped Honey Pecan Yams
Fresh Mushroom Onion Garlic Green Beans
Homemade Gravy
Homemade Refigerator Rolls
Molten Chocolate Lava Cake

Most of these recipes have less than 6 ingredients and this menu should feed about 4-6 people so I hope you enjoy trying them. Here is your shopping list.



1 13-15 pound turkey
Fresh Sage
poultry seasoning
Paprika, Garlic powder, Pepper, Salt
olive or canola oil
3-4 russet potatoes
3-4 white potatoes
garlic
1-2 pounds of Fresh Green Beans
2 white onions
1cup fresh sliced mushrooms
1 pkg bacon
2 pkgs Farmer John Sausage
1 can black olives
celery
1 can or 3 fresh large yams
brown sugar
1/2c pecans
honey
Cornstarch
All Purpose Flour
unsweetened cocoa powder any brand
Milk any kind
eggs
instant yeast
1 package of margarine or butter
Whipped Cream/Cool Whip or Vanilla Ice Cream

This is all you will need to make this Thanksgiving Meal!
By all means if you like cranberries get a can and add to your meal. My kids dont like it so I do not want to waste it!
Stay tuned as I post video recipes throughout the day!




No comments:

Post a Comment